Thursday, September 27, 2007

Stage Mom?

OK, forget my last blog. I hate showbiz!! I'll start with a little background. My kids go to a great school. It's an arts based International Bacclaureat school from grades K-12. They teach a global/world focused approach to the curriculum while intergrating all arts forms into the academics. So they'll learn a song/dance etc that teaches them math or science etc. and how knowing this math or science affects the world they and others live in.
As an art school they also produce some pretty amazing drama productions. This year they're doing Annie and both of my kids wanted to audition. Claire, so like her mother in some ways, rrrreally " got into" it. You see, they announced the season at the end of the school year last year so Claire bought the Annie DVD and watched it all summer. She memorized every song and most of the lines of every character in the movie. Nathan really didn't care if he was in or not. He just thought it would be cool to be an orphan. ( when asked what he wants to be when he grows up he says " a comedian, a dentist or a hobo!)
Well....long story short. Neither of them got in. Nathan didn't even really know they posted the cast. Claire was first to the bulletin board. My heart is breaking for her.
She's fine.
I'm devastated.
No, I'm not a stage mom going..." What?!!! My daughter's a star damn you! Can't you see? Are you blind?!! WE worked so hard for this?!!! We deserve this!!!" as she pushes her daughter closer to the director but not before straightening her daughters hair for the 100th time!
Naw, it's not that, I'm just so sorry for her. She worked so hard. She prepared as best she could. She has great experience, is quite lovely, so how do I explain it to her?
How do I say that the director may not have noticed her amongst the 100 other kids in the room? How do I say she just perhaps doesn't look like how he thinks an orphan should look? Man it's hard being a mom sometimes. I want her to learn that when she works really hard and does her best it pays off!!! Oh well, I guess time will tell. She seems really ok with it.
I on the other hand, caught myself giving dirty looks to the sweet little 11 year old that did get in!!! It should have been Claire dammit!!!!

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

I hear you, when it comes to Tyler I'm as protective as a grizzly bear. I often wonder how parents of figure skaters survive, always worried "will she land that triple twist double axle".