Sunday, June 10, 2007

I cope with comedy!

I've realized I may have a bit of a unique coping mechanism when it comes to my day to day life. I imagine I'm in a sit com. Complete with laugh track! Case in point....
Episode 12
I'm about 15 months preggers with my youngest. I've been puking for 16 of the 15 months and whilst lying in bed the little guy is performing a little hip hop dance routine so as all mom's do I gently tap hubby awake to share the experience.
( the poor guys always feel so left out of the pregnancy loop right?). He sighs ( a little annoying) and rolls over with a " what?!!"...( more annoying ). I reply with a sweet voiced, " Feel my tummy, honey, the baby is moving". Hubby PUHLUNKS his 20 pound hand on my stretched to the max belly.
(Now as we all know, they can hear in there and Nathan's sense of humour started in the womb so ...he stopped moving. )
Hubby again sighs a little louder and a little longer ( I'm getting a bit more annoyed) and I say "Just keep your hand there for a bit longer" .
....he says....
"Do you know how hard this is?".....THE STUDIO AUDIENCE IN MY HEAD STARTS TO BELLY LAUGH!!!! I roll over shaking my head with that " Oh you big goof" look we all expect sit com moms to have. End of scene.

Episode 12
Having one of those division of labour disputes. You know the one where the wife's lines are " I sweep, launder, cook, vacuum, take kids to dentist, Dr, do dishes, help with homework and all I ask is that you dry this bowl!!!"
Well hubby's line this episode was " You SAY you do all those things, but I'm at work and don't actually see you do it". Studio audience does one of those groan- laughs and we cut to commercial.

Episode 24
Kids at breakfast table. Me wearing funky new yoga pants, long blonde hair tied back in pony tail twist thing.....oops wrong channel!
Kids at table eating breakfast when Child #1 notices Child #2 has more in bowl. Child #1's lines are..."Hey, how come he gets more than me?'
My line- "Because I love him more"
Child #1 looks up at mom in near tears.
Mom ( me) winks and slow smiles.
Child#1 laughing " Awe Mom!!"
Cut to commercial.

So, as you can see this coping mechanism works. He still has an arm, he dries bowls and my kids think for a second before complaining about who got more! My only complaint is my paycheque. Definitely not ACTRA rates.

2 comments:

Mika Ryan said...

This sounds like an episode from "I Love Lucy".....better to laugh than cry

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.