Wednesday, July 18, 2007

How long is this trip?

I'm packing for our summer holiday at the lake. We're going to Prince Albert National Park! Waskesiu Lake!!! I'm so excited!!!
I used to go there every summer as a kid. The first time we camped in this army surplus tent trailer thing ( my sister slept in the car the whole time!). Next we graduated to a trailer ( my sister slept in the car the whole time!)
--I need to add that my sister slept in the car between my Dad getting us all up and into the car at about 3 am because he " thinks" he heard a bear. We'd drive around looking for said bear and sometimes we'd find said bear....and at 3 am my Dad would honk the horn scaring the bear away and in his mind saving all of Waskesiu from the savage rampage of one lone bear!--
I also think she slept in the car so she could sneak off in the middle of the night with her hippy friends.
I digress!
After the trailer we moved up to rental cabins. 30 some odd years later my family is staying in the same cabins!!!
My problem is - what to pack?
We're only going for one week. There are 4 of us. We need clothing for 30+ and clothing for cold and rainy. We need food. We need entertainment....rainy day activities and hot beach toys.
I know I take too much. I'll undoubtedly be living in the most comfy shorts and ratty t shirt but I can't just pack that. I pack each outfit, imagining myself in the outfit, actually imagining what I'm doing in the outfit....case in point. Cute little capris, cute little tank to go with it, flip flops. I'm walking along the trails along the beach. The sun is shining indirectly, filtered by the trees above...so it's not too hot. My kids are running ahead in their shorts, flip flops etc. My husband is in his beige shorts and grey t shirt. We're eating ice cream cones....I look skinny.
We're on the beach. Me in my black crochet cover up. Always in my black crochet cover up!
It's rainy. I'm wearing my Lu Lu Lemon hoodie with my Lu lu lemon pants .
See what I mean? What will actually happen is this. It'll be hot, I'll want to be comfortable. I'll wear my favorite comfy shorts, I may change shirts. That'll be it. I'll try to put on a pair of jeans in the evening but they'll feel too tight and restrictive so I'll take them off and put my shorts back on!
Oh well, I've packed quite a few bins just in case!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I slept in the car because there were four other people smushed into the army surplus tent trailer thing and then later the teeny tiny trailer! Plus, there were bears, damn it.