Friday, May 30, 2008

S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G


Congratulations to Sameer Mishra from Indiana who successfully spelled "guerdon" to win this years 2008 Scripps National Spelling Bee. I'm always amazed every year at these kids who can spell words that I didn't even know existed!
Last year a local boy came in runner up! He was in grade 8 at my kids' school here in Edmonton, Alberta Canada! The school is an arts based school, Grade K-12 . We were soooo proud of Nate and his amazing accomplishment. Here was this average Grade 8 public school kid surrounded by homeschooled, spelling bee careerists ( spell THAT!) and he spelled his way to runner up! Gotta love those stories.
I sure wouldn't do very well in a spelling bee. I do read alot but have to admit I kinda skim over the long hard words usually mispronoucing them in my head only to embarrass myself later when I try to use it in a sentence. Never mind knowing it's root origin!
Just today I was talking to my husband and I said a big word.....wrong....and he politely corrected me. I hate that!
My son's a good speller. He has a weekly spelling test at school and NEVER studies the words. The night before he sits down, I recite the words and he spells them......correctly.....first time......even when I mispronounce them!
I just want you to know though......I DON'T use spell check......ok, maybe you already knew that.

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

I'm also spelling challenged, a product of a test in education when they though everyone should learn to spell phonetically - which we all know is the opposite of the English language. My most embarressing misproununciation was har-bing-er as in a harbinger of things to come.