Thursday, February 28, 2008

A blessing

My daughter's at "that" age. She's a tween. She just experienced that first of firsts....the first period.
I was lucky in that my Mom told me what to expect but more importantly made it seem like a good thing. I have friends who've made their daughters cry when they discussed menstruation...crying out " I don't want to get older!".
I always knew I wanted to do something "special" for Claire when the big day came. I told her we'd go out for lunch, and go shopping for something special to mark the event.
When the day did arrive I was talking to a friend of mine about it and she asked if I'd like to hear the Wiccan "First Blood Blessing". I told her of course and here it is.....
You're supposed to read it out loud in a forest or something but I just wrote it out and gave to to Claire in the car on the way to Sushi!!
Be free, be strong, be yourself, be lucky, be proud to be a woman, be loved and be loving.
May your body always be a blessing to you, a temple of love and pleasure.
May your womb bear fruit at your desire.
May you always remember that your power to create is of the body, but not bound by the body.
May you bear many different kinds of fruit.
Honor your blood that waxes and wanes with the moon, for it is the living presence of the Goddess.
May your blood flow gently, without pain, reminding you that within you lies the circle of birth, growth, death and rebirth.
Yours is the power to open or close the gates of life, and yours is the responsibility to be a conscious guardian.
Open to the embrace of love when you choose, and when you do not choose, may you be inviolable.
Care for you body as you would for a sacred grove, and care for those you love.
May your life be rich with many forms of love: passion, affection, devotion, compassion, humor and playfulness, wild adventures and a safe hearth to come home to.
May you find lovers, partners, friends and companions those who will nurture you and those whom you will nurture.
Know that you are unique and precious, that no one else can take your place.
Be Blessed.
So she read it, blushed, said " Thank You Mommy" and we pigged out on Sushi and shopped til we dropped!1
She keeps the note in her "special keepsake box".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez, all Laura got from me was a "Hey, cool. You ok for supplies?"

Mika Ryan said...

This is cool, I remember when I got the "curse" - as it was called at that time. I was the last girl to start in my class, and when it did happen I was too embarressed to tell my mom. It was during basketball camp, which made it even more challenging. I finally told my grandmother, but never discussed with my mom. I just remember feeling really sad and ashamed. Claire is very lucky, as her experience sounds like a wonderful, coming of age.