Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sensitive Issues

There's a really good blog I love to read. It's called Life with Mika....check it out at http://www.mika-ryan.blogspot.com. I met Mika about 12 years ago in Vancouver through my sister. I liked Mika right away. She's funny, liberal, open-minded, adventurous, just a neat person to be around.
Mika was born in Texas USA and came to Vancouver Canada many years ago. Mika's family still lives in Texas and through her blog she can keep them up to date on her comings and goings. Her son lives in Thailand and because of her blog she can still be a Mom in touch with her son, imparting her motherly words of wisdom and letting him know via this medium that she's still cool and in touch with what's going on in the world.
Lately the blog has been "interesting".
As I mentioned before Mika was born in Texas, .......I've been to Texas. I went to Dallas 2 years ago for a Mary Kay thingy and whoo-eee I've never been preyed, I mean prayed for, so much in my life!!!!
We're talking about the land of Bush and right wing Christian conservatism and well...I was sitting at a table with about 7 Texan gals and I was made to hold hands while grace was said and the talk ( they started it!!) came to religions and I guess I made the mistake of mentioning , respectfully, that I question the whole male sky god thing and that perhaps we're all accountable and can't ask said male sky God to fix our mistakes and everything and well......if there is a male sky God I've got it made in the shade because they prayed....are still praying for me......(oh and they're praying for my gay opera friend who got married to his partner legally in Edmonton the week before too). ( word of advise....when in Texas don't mention the power of the Universe, gays and liberals)!!! They were great gals, and I know they liked me and wanted what they thought was the best for me....I guess.......

Anyhoo, Mika is honest and open minded about her beliefs, and tells it like it is in her blog and well.......her last post mentioned politics ( she's liberal minded) and a family member( I'll call Ms T) made a comment on Mika's blog that got all preachy and lecturey and I kinda lost it.......
You see Ms T has been irking me for awhile and I've tried to be all light and funny and "Oh well" about her in the past but the last one just got me!!! Something about " why Canadians even care about who gets elected President of the US!!! Her past comments on Mika's blogs about topics on.....
gays ( apparantly wrong, wrong, wrong......but with the "right" religious beliefs gayness can be fixed!) ,
religion ( Christian conservative),
immigrants ( free loaders),
health care ( you got the cash you get the care),
those in need of social assistance( those people from New Orleans should stop expecting the Govn't to bail them out),
I'd usually comment in some offhand way but the last one irked me alot! Why do we Canadians care? Because we're global citizens!!! Because your President Bush is wrecking it for everyone in the playground we call "the world"!!!

I commented quite strongly. I Bush bashed, and said some other stuff and I think I insulted Ms T and maybe got Mika into some trouble with her family.
Mika, I'm sorry if I offended your family.....I'll try to play better in your sandbox next time!

4 comments:

Mika Ryan said...

First of all I'm really honoured to be mentioned in your blog - and it's good to know that my mom isn't the only one reading me.
The truth is, I was feeling a little bruised by the whole thing - so I really appreciate the fact that you had my back. In fact, this takes our relationship to a whole new level - from casual friends to sistas!
And you have nothing to feel bad about - just be grateful that it's not your gene pool we're talking about.

Anonymous said...

Since Mika just linked these blogs, I though I would check yours out...I didn't know I was going to see "Ms. T" mentioned!

I'm sorry I've been irking you! I thought the whole point of open-mindedness was to be able to see other's points of view and say..."oh, that's cool!" Although, I don't quite agree with YOUR version of my beliefs; I do understand why you think of me the way you do. We all put each other in boxes, don't we?

You didn't offend me nor did you get me into trouble with Mika (not on my part anyway). I feel badly that I bruised her. I would never want to hurt her in anyway. That truly makes me sad.

I promise I won't make it so "interesting" anymore. Like I said in Mika's comment section, I will keep my negative opinions to myself...and pray about the rest.

Peace to you...Ms. T

Anonymous said...

Wow, I actually think this issue has been resolved. Isn't that great? Now we are all linked by the food meme. Food always brings people together. BTW I have read a little of Miss T's blog and as always found a good person who has dramatically different ideas than mine.
I'm enjoying your blog. Are you Judith's sister?

Maggy and Me - said...

Hi Dil. I feel we've connected through Mika as well. Thanks for your comments on my blog and for your best wishes about my friend Debrah. It's always nice to connect (even if just in cyberspace for now) with like-minded souls. BTW, I'm writing this sitting in Mika's warm, sunny kitchen looking out onto green, lushness after having flown out from icy, cold TO last night. Though I'm in Vancouver for a sad event I'm so thrilled and lucky to be staying with the wonderful Mika, Tom and pugs. Maybe we'll all get together in Vancouver, in person, some day soon. :)

Dawn