Thursday, February 28, 2008

Food , glorious food


My friend Mika just "tagged" me in something called a food meme. I don't know what a meme is, and I'm not very computor savvy so I'm going to break some of the rules but I'll do it anyway!

The rules:

1. Link to your tagger and post these rules ( right off the bat I break a rule...I don't know how to "link")

2. Share 5 food facts about yourself

3. Tag 5 people at the end of your post and list their names ( linking to them....Linking again!!)

4. Let them know they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blogs.


Here's my lame way of linking....Mika http://mika-ryan.blogspot.com/ sent me this and I'm determined to do it my way!!!!


1. My mom did "fusion" before it was even a word in culinary circles. Yup, I was raised on a Canadian/British fusion of VERY well done meat, VERY boiled vegetables served with a heaping side of boiled, mashed potatoes or minute rice. She also put different foods together in what we now call a fusion but back then it was called a casserole. Tuna, rice and Miracle Whip or macaroni, hambuger and tomatoe soup ( a favorite of all the grandkids ....they beg her for it!).


2. My relationship with food morphed somewhat through my teenage years and into young adulthood. I had an eating disorder. Food was eaten for all the wrong reasons, not tasted, not appreciated, loved and hated at the same time. It became an obsession and all consuming. Not good food years.
3. I now have a normal healthy relationship with food. Let's face it, the casting director for the next Sex in the City is not going to come to Edmonton in the near future looking for that perfect 46 yr old mother of two to replace Sarah Jessica Parker!! I'm not paid to be skinny!! I enjoy food!!
4. My roommate through nursing school was in the restaurant business prior to nursing. She changed me. She taught me about cooking, ( not to say we didn't enjoy our Kraft dinner or crunchy peanut butter by the spoon!). Lois exposed me to ethnic food, fine cuisine, fine wines, the art of dining slowly for hours at a noisey artsy restaurant, cooking from scratch! Thank you Lois!!
5. Having kids kinda changes things a bit. My 11 yr old is a whiz in the kitchen and will try , and usually likes most foods. She did all my Christmas baking and she can cook up a storm. My 9 year old is another story. I don't really know how to describe it....only raw veggies, no sauce ( including ketchup! What kid doesn't like ketchup?!!) , he does the "gross shiver gag thingy" if there's ANY skin or fat on his meat, hates fish ( although LOVES calamari...and even knows it's squid!), no spice ( therefore no flavor). Anyhoo, our family meals are kinda boring ( maybe why mom cooked how she cooked......3 kids with different tastes!). I know it'll change and we can all sit down to a good Pad Thai in a few years.
So for my tagging I break the rules too. I don't know 5 other bloggers! My friends are facebookers so I'll only do a couple......and again I have to do the lame way of linking......
I tag my sister Judith http://judes-journey.blogspot.com she was raised on Minute Rice too!
I tag Maggy and Me author http://maggyandme.blogspot.com she's a friend of Mika and I read her blog and enjoy it.
Now I'm going to try to get some of my friends on facebook to get into this blogging thing. I mean really....there's no "meat" to facebook, no stories, no debates, nothing to really "chew" on...it's a little like Minute Rice.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello fell tagged. We all have intereting food journeys, don't we. You might like to read my "mashed potato" story on my blog. As well as my five food things. http://ninahook.typepad.com/

Anonymous said...

Oops. That should have read "fellow taggee".

Mika Ryan said...

Love the story. Just as an FYI, you've had a huge impact on how I feel about brie.......