Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Confuscious say.......

Hubby's got a bad, bad back. It was bugging him a bit a couple of weeks ago.
Our boy child had " parent" day at his rock climbing lessons about 2 Sundays ago and Kevin decided to try tackling a mountain or two......I very politely said "Honey, do you think it wise to climb a backward slanted wall with your sore back?". I was met with stoney silence....he ignored me and continued grunting, climbing, falling and climbing again.
The next day.....
Hubby is home from work early....he's walking kinda bent sideways and looks somewhat grey. Wrenched his back good.
Well, he's been to two Dr's, chiropractor and physio almost daily and no relief. We're on our 8th day of the sideways walk, grey toned skin, not to mention me having to do EVERYTHING around here like, shovel walks on our corner lot, christmas shopping, kid driving so today I decided to make him an appointment with an acupuncturist.
Guess what?
It's the first thing that worked!! He's been doing physio, taking drugs, stretching, icing, heating, groaning, moaning and grunting for 8 days and he spends an hour with a few needles and he says it's working wonders.
Now he's still a little crooked and the pain's not gone but he's getting relief! He's going again for sure.
Man, I trained as a nurse in the conventional western ways of medicine but have started believing more and more in natural remedies. I'll take acupuncture and herbs over surgery any day!!! There's a Dr here in Edmonton that is world reknown. He's a medical Dr as well as herbalist and acupuncturist. He teaches medicine at the U of A. In my nursing practice I've run in to a few people who have been lucky enough to have been a patient of his. One such patient had MS and was in a wheelchair. As a "last resort" went to Dr Aung and left walking.
A collegue of mine's daughter has had a cancerous tumor on her heart. At the age of 16 she has had more surgeries, and chemo and radiation than anyone I know. My collegue took her daughter to Dr Aung for some pain management and she told me he was like a spiritual guru! She said that he exuded this wisdom, calmness and warmth. Talk about good vibrations! She is painfree now.
So, I'm leaning more and more " to the left" in the world we call medicine. I will not hesitate to recommend Chinese herbs, acupuncture or whatever else they've been doing for the past few thousand years! I think they've mastered it enough by now, don't you?

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

First, what ever you do - don't give him a bell. Living with a sick hubby is hell, so if you need a safe house you can come and stay with me.

Second, my pug has back problems, and I've been thinking about acupuncture....thanks to your blog, I'm going to book an appointment for him tomorrow.