Friday, December 21, 2007

Warning!!! Warning!!!

I just receieved another *warning* about the movie The Golden Compass. Arhg!!! I hear there are some Christian schools actually banning the book!! I remember when the Davinci Code was hot off the press and there were churches banning their parisioners from reading that one too.
Why???
What are these people so afraid of? Are they afraid that their faithful flocks will " flock" off and join some other religion or non- religion? Let me tell you something, if the leaders that are telling these people not to read the book are that afraid they haven't led very well!!!
It's like telling straight people not to read gay stories for fear of them " turning" gay!!
If you're strong in your faith no book is going to change that. You may question a few things and I believe that's good! I don't believe in blind faith. I think it's healthy to read and experience and ask questions. What a great teaching tool for your kids. Seeing differing view points is a great opportunity to answer questions and discuss religion and you're point of view. Of course with respect for those views of the movie or book in question.
I myself can't wait to see The Golden Compass with my kids and I'm interested to hear and answer the questions that follow. I'm all for a good debate and discussion.
Let's stay open minded people!!!

No comments: