Thursday, May 24, 2007

I've got a funny feeling.....

I had a conversation at work about women's intuition the other day, and how it ties into nursing. You see, I had a nursing instructor who was working on her Master's and she was doing her dissertation on male nurses vs female nurses and the use of "woman's" intuition. She didn't think male nurses had "woman's" intuition and therefore couldn't be as effective a nurse as a female.
I've been a nurse for 20 years now..I've worked ER, ICU, medicine and surgery and I have to say I've used intuition on a number of occasions. The vital signs are fine, everything on paper looks fine but I've got a "funny feeling" about this one so I'll watch him/her a little closer this shift and what do ya know....the patient crashes at about 3 am with a big bleed or something.
Most of my female nursing friends have stories of their " funny feelings" and how those intuitions have even saved lives.
I was working triage in ER one night and a 40 something female came in complaining of mouth pain. She said she had TMJ ( a joint in the jaw is inflammed) and it was acting up. Vital signs were fine. She also had sore arms but she'd been moving and lifting heavey boxes all weekend. She felt tired but hadn't slept alot due to the move. The doc I was working with was all ready to prescribe some pain meds but I had a " funny feeling" so ordered an ECG ( heart tracing). The Dr thought I was wasting time and money and got kinda pissed at me ( an ego thing too...thought I was disobeying Dr orders) Well....you guessed it- this woman was having a massive heart attack!!!
I have worked with alot of excellent male nurses in my career. Love working with them and boy do they know their stuff...but...I've NEVER heard a male nurse say" I've got a funny feeling about this patient". In fact I don't think I've heard ANY guy say...." I don't know what it is but something about that guy gives me the creeps!" Do guys get "funny feelings'? Do they consider them not concrete enough to mention? I'd like to know.
Ask your male friends,family members,co-workers, neighbours, nurses, Dr etc. if they have "funny feelings" and if they do, do they act on them or ignore them?. Let me know by commenting on this blog or send them my way.
Wait, if no one comments I'll think I have no friends .......
I have a funny feeling ........

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

My goodness, when I'm stressed at work I always say "hey, it's not like we're saving lives here"....guess that doesn't work for you!