Wednesday, May 16, 2007

oops, I forgot to introduce myself

I guess I'll start by introducing myself.
Hi I'm Dilys.
I'm married to Kevin ( 11 years!!) have two kids Claire 11 ( no we didn't HAVE to get married) and Nathan 9. I love being a mother!!!
I work parttime as a nurse.
OMG!!! this is so boring!
O.K. I sing in the opera! I'll tell you a funny story about my first year with the opera. I auditioned ( no, it wasn't an "American Idol" phenomenon moment! as I had never been to an opera, didn't know the title of ONE opera and seriously didn't think I'd be considered) and they liked me, they actually liked me!!!! I was in!!!!
Soon I received an invitation to an opera party! The party's theme was based on the first opera of the season-Cavalleria Rusticana/Pagliacci by Verdi with a clown/circus theme. It said " Send in the Clowns" come one, come all...blah , blah, blah......DRESS UP or COME AS YOU ARE!!!!
What was I to do?????
Do I dress up? Do I not dress up?
I didn't know anyone in the opera ( having never been to one!) so didn't have anyone to call for advice. I asked friends, I asked family and got mixed responses from ...."I'd die before I dressed up in a costume" to " Go for it, they're an artsy bunch I'm sure" so.....I borrowed a playschool teacher friends clown costume complete with giant blue shoes, bells for buttons and orange wig, made my potluck potatoe salad and jingled my way to THE HOUSE. Now the host of the party was in the opera, a very wealthy lawyer with a Judge wife ( not judgemental....JUDGE as in your honor!) and the house was a mansion. The judge opened the door and smiled in a non-judgemental way in her little black dress with a teeny, weeny clown pin on the left breast!!! I jingled further into the castle and found myself ...alone....amongst tiny clown earrings, brooches and nice little summer dresses!
I'll have you know that I stayed the whole party in that get up, I jingled up to small little groups of opera talking people in cute little sundresses and made an impression.
I'm fun damn it!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What makes you so funny is your weirdness. How many do you think are going to read your blog? I couldn't help but laugh ..."I'll tell you a story about..." who are you talking to?? *laughing*

Keep it up, you're off on a great start..

Dil said...

See what I mean?!!! I said the wrong composer for Cav/Pag !!!!!!